West Vancouver Community Centre Celebrates Grand Opening March 28
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
West Vancouver, BC: Be among the first to experience the new West Vancouver Community Centre on Saturday, March 28 when the facility will open its doors wide for a festive Grand Opening.
Architects Hughes Condon Marler, a Vancouver-based firm, with Darryl Condon as lead architect, delivered an experiential building with bold forms contrasted by glass, light, and space. The principles of transparency, quality, durability, flexibility, and operational and environmental sustainability are all evident in the space. This 83,659 square foot facility was designed to strengthen the community by bringing people and partners together in their activities.
Visitors will get a chance to see and try their hand at many activities that will be offered at this state-of-the-art recreational facility. Take a tour, enjoy entertainment and take part in art activities. Try out the gymnasium and the Dynamic Movement Space, a secondary gym with a climbing wall and specialized equipment for gymnastics and aerial sports.
“We hope everyone in West Vancouver will come out to experience their brilliant new Community Centre,” says Barbara Brink, Grand Opening MC and chair of the West Vancouver Community Centres Services Society. “Our residents have been so patient over the past five years and now we are going to reward them with not only a great day, but with a facility that will fill them with pride.”
The Community Centre’s serene Spirit Square will be open for viewing and new works of art by significant local artists, including “Beach Tangle” by the celebrated Canadian artist Gordon Smith, will be on display.
To help celebrate, the Aquatic Centre next door will be hosting a complimentary swim in the afternoon. Snacks and refreshments will be served at the Seniors’ Centre.
This exciting family event will showcase Community Centre partners: Vancouver Coastal Health, West Vancouver Family Place Society, West Vancouver Complement Health Care, the West Vancouver Youth Band, and Bean Around the World Café.
When: Saturday, March 28, 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
Where: West Vancouver Community Centre, 2121 Marine Drive
Schedule of Events:
11:00 - Tours and activities begin
11:30 - On the Great Lawn - The Squamish Nation Naming Ceremony: Smelákwa– awtxw
12:00 - Spirit Room - A fun and inspiring children’s and family performance by Bobs and Lolo
1:00 - Spirit Square Atrium - Official Ceremony and Unveiling: M.C. Barbara Brink, Chair of the Society
2:00 - Spirit Square Atrium - Time Capsule Opening and Draw
2:30 - Outdoors on the Spirit Plaza - Anna Chree Fountain Recognition
Get a taste of the quality and variety of programs that the Community Centre will be offering:
- Try out the space in the Gymnasium and meet some of our sport instructors. There will be demonstrations and community participation in karate, handball, sportball, atomic volleyball, floorball, and badminton.
- Find out about the Canucks Autism Network I CAN Play Soccer program, as well as our other sport offerings. Ask us about being a True Sport Community.
- Visit the Cedar Room, where Squamish Nation artist Xwa-lack tun (Rick Harry) will display and speak about the public art piece he has carved on the theme of healing and the coming together of communities.
- Observe artists painting and drawing a live model in the Arts Studio.
- Imagine, explore, and celebrate the art in a child's heart when you visit the Children's Centre. Create a personal "Beach Tangle".
- Watch a dance demonstration in the Dance Studio or and strum a chord with the guitar instructor in the Music Studio.
- Sample a mini yoga class in the Ocean Room and learn how the new Spirit Pass for the Mind-Body yoga program works.
- Jump into gymnastics and be one of the first to run, roll, and rock in the Dynamic Movement Centre. Try the obstacle course (for participants 16 & under) and watch rhythmic gymnastics demonstrations.
- Visit the new home of the West Vancouver Youth Band and listen to local musicians in the Community Music Hall. Musicians of all ages will demonstrate the depth of our local talent.
- See what recreational and volunteer opportunities the Youth Lounge will offer for youth, ages 13 to 18. Get ideas or give us yours!
Once you are finished exploring the Community Centre, you are invited to visit the Aquatic Centre for a variety of pool games and activities from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm
There will also be opportunities to meet the Board Members of the West Vancouver Community Centres Services Society and residents can become a member.
Mark Saturday, March 28th on the calendar, and experience a world of opportunity on your doorstep. You belong here. We look forward to seeing you!
– 30 –