Aquatic Centre Facility Awards
The West Vancouver Aquatic Centre was awarded two International Architectural awards in Cologne, Germany, for its design and function as well as its accessibility. The awards are for:
- Bronze Award for Exemplary Design and Function of a Sport, Leisure and Health Facility. Sponsored by the International Olympic Committee and the International Association for Sports and Leisure Facilities.
- Award of Distinction for a Sport Facility Suitable for People with Disabilities. Promoting accessibility to sports facilities and giving people with disabilities the opportunity to practice or view sport without limitation or barriers. Sponsored by the International Paralympics Committee and IAKS.
These two new awards join a number of recognitions the facility has received since it opened in 2004, including:
Return to West Vancouver Aquatic Centre
- Lieutenant-Governor of BC AIBC Architectural Award of Merit, 2005
- BC Wood and Woodworkers Association Award -2004
- Canadian Parks and Recreation Award of Excellence for Innovation, 2004
- Athletic Business Facility of Merit Award, 2005
- Profiled in a book on regional approaches to sustainable design in Canada, 2005
- Profiled by the Canadian Wood Council as an example of an Outstanding Wood Building
- Chosen as North Shore News Reader's Choice Favourite Fitness Facility, 2006 and 2007