West Vancouver Community Centre Wins Another Award
Monday, October 18, 2010
West Vancouver, BC: The District of West Vancouver is pleased to announce that the West Vancouver Community Centre has received the award of excellence in the community facility category from the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV) Commercial Building Awards 2010.
The Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver presented the inaugural awards to honour the owners, builders, developers, architects/designers and financiers who work together to build and renovate commercial, industrial, hospitality, and community facilities in our communities. The West Vancouver Community Centre, located at 2121 Marine Drive, was recognized by the jury for:
- Geo-thermal energy created on-site and shared symbiotically amongst all buildings on the Civic Site;
- 89 percent of the previous building was re-used in the new facility, including wood decking, structural beams, crushed concrete and masonry;
- A circulation spine, running the length of the building, allows the entrance of natural light and ventilation.
Opened in March 2009, the West Vancouver Community Centre was conceived as a replacement for the previous facility dating to the 1950s. Hughes, Condon, Marler Architects designed the building to meet sustainability, recreational, and aesthetic priorities, and was designed to meet LEED Gold design standards. The project introduced the first vertically bored ground source heat recovery system in BC, providing 40 percent of energy requirements for the complex. The Community Centre provides a comprehensive mix of community recreation programs and services and community health functions in a unique facility with high quality architectural design.
Other awards the West Vancouver Community Centre has been honoured with in 2010 include:
- Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia Merit Awards for Architecture
- Sustainable Architecture and Building (SAB) Canadian Green Building Award
- British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association (BCRPA) Facility Excellence Award
- 30 -
Sue Ketler, Executive Director, Community Centres Services Society/Senior Manager of Community Services