New - Please Read:
Applicant must provide:
- Building Permit Application Form
- Two sets of drawings for residential/duplex (three sets for tenant improvements, commercial, multi family, and government permit applications - Effective December 20, 2012 new BC Codes will apply - 2012 B.C. Codes Bulletin
- Schedule C - Declaration of Insurance form for all registered professionals
- One-half of the permit fee. This fee is non-refundable and is based on the value of the proposed work.
- NEW - Effective July 2, 2012 - Building Bylaw amendments will require additional information when applying for a Building permit. See Notice concerning key changes to Building Permit application requirements effective July 2, 2012
Please read prior to submitting application:
Building Permit Document Checklist
General Notes for Construction
Traffic Management Plan Guidelines
Driveway Crossing Bylaw
Building on your Property
Fees and charges Bylaw
Heavy Vehicle Regulations notice and brochure. Heavy Vehicle Prohibited Downhill Signs are required for posting at construction sites.
Solar Requirements for New Home Construction.
Notice on changes to the West Vancouver Zoning Bylaw 4662, 2010 concerning values now expressed in metric
Charges For Revisions Notice
Metro Vancouver's Demolition, Landclearing and Construction Waste Mangement Toolkit Brochure
Climatic Data Table
Snow Load Zones:
Please refer to the Snow Zone Area Map for the zone area then select the zone below:
Snow Load Zone 1
Snow Load Zone 2
Snow Load Zone 3
Snow Load Zone 4
Snow Load Zone 5
Snow Load Zone 6
Snow Load Zone 7
Snow Load Zone 8
Snow Load Zone 9
Snow Load Zone 10
Snow Load Zone 11
Development Cost Charges:
- apply to all new and additions to commercial and multi-residential developments (containing more than three contained dwellings), having a value over $50,000 and are not exempt from taxation by the Comunity Charter. See DCC Fees.
Revisions: submission of revised drawings to a permit application or valid permit may be subject to additional fees.
When is a building permit required?
With some exceptions, building permits are required for all construction activity involving any structure over 4 feet in height, including:
buildings, retaining walls, stairs, in-ground pools, pools, antennaes, signs, decks over 24"high
Generally building permits are not required for:
re-roofing, cladding, mill work, fences, window replacement, landscaping