Media Release - Horseshoe Bay Pier will remain open to passenger and emergency vehicles
Thursday, September 13, 2012
West Vancouver, BC - Based on feedback received from the community, the District will continue to allow passenger vehicles to access the Horseshoe Bay Pier three vehicles at one time. The District is limiting the number of vehicles and implementing other new safety procedures to ensure pedestrian safety and to maintain the pier’s structural integrity over time.
West Vancouver Mayor, Michael Smith, says: “We received a lot of feedback from the community on this issue. The proposed safety precautions are a great example of the community coming together and working with District staff to arrive at a solution together.”
The District is considering implementing the following safety precautions for the pier:
- Installing bollards at the entrance to limit the size of any vehicle accessing the pier;
- Granting priority access to emergency vehicles;
- Restricting the number of vehicles on the pier at any one time to three;
- Installing signage with maximum vehicular weight and rules for driving on the pier;
- Developing a vehicle delineation plan to improve pedestrian safety;
- Monitoring the pier by Parks and Bylaw staff;
- Monitoring the pier’s structural integrity and vehicle impact through annual inspections and integrating maintenance costs into the District’s Five Year Capital Plan; and,
- Implementing a permit/fee system for vehicle access on the pier.
The District will host a public information session to gain perspectives from pier users on what might work best with respect to traffic flow and enforcing regulations before any actions are implemented. The information session will be held October 17 at 6 - 8 p.m. with the location to be determined. Please visit westvancouver.ca for location information closer to the meeting.
About the District of West Vancouver
The District of West Vancouver is the local government led by Mayor Michael Smith and Council. Home to more than 44,000 residents, West Vancouver is a local government which strives to "inspire excellence and lead by example". Our Vision and Mission guide us to pursue our treasured quality of life and will be the measure of our success as a community. West Vancouver is a community built on innovation, a strong spirit of personal civic commitment and a deep value for relationships.
Jessica Delaney Director of Communications
c: 604-360-8131 | d: 604-925-4736 | e: firstname.lastname@example.org