Wireless Communication Facilities Policy Modernization
Monday, September 24, 2012
Wireless spectrum and antennae are federally regulated by Industry Canada, which mandates that a local government’s consultation process be adhered to if one exists (which the District has had in place since 1997). In the event that the local Council passes a resolution of non-support for a given application, the proponent may apply to Industry Canada with an “impasse request,” after which Industry Canada would act as an arbiter between parties. Ultimately, Industry Canada may choose to approve a tower application with or without local government support.
The District is seeking to modernize its 1997 consultation process to reflect current issues and challenges.
Since 1997, the District of West Vancouver has had a Personal Communications System (PCS) policy in place. The purpose of the policy was to provide guidance for reviewing applications for proposed antennae sites. Criteria included:
- Issuance of applicable permits (building, electrical, road use, etc.)
- Review by the Design Review Committee
- Submission by the applicant of a plan showing the ‘system’ of all proposed antenna locations
- Public notification and information process
In July 2012 Council received the draft, updated Wireless Communication Facilities Policy and approved staff’s recommendation to make the draft policy available for community review and comment. The key features of the draft policy are to:
- Establish specific procedures depending on the type of application:
- Rooftop and building mount: The application would be processed at a staff level with a particular focus on design and visual aesthetics, without a public consultation process;
- Cell phone towers: The application process would include a public consultation process, a Council report, and Council’s resolution of support or non-support;
- Provide location and design direction.
The draft policy will be revised based on feedback received and returned to Council for approval of a finalized policy.
Council report (PDF, 123 KB)
Council report attachments (PDF, 6.1 MB)
1997 PCS Policy (PDF, 98 KB)
Draft modernized Wireless Communication Facilities Policy (PDF, 98 KB)
Frequently Asked Questions
Email us your feedback on the draft policy