Municipally Designated Heritage Properties
A municipally designated heritage property is protected by a bylaw so that it cannot be altered or destroyed.
Under the Local Government Act, a local government, by bylaw, may designate properties as protected if the local government considers that the property has heritage value or heritage character, or that designation of the property is necessary or desirable for the conservation of a protected heritage property.
This designation differs from properties that are on the Community Heritage Register, as those properties, although are formally recognized as having heritage value, are not legally protected.
West Vancouver has 11 municipally designated heritage properties: the Ferry Building, Gertrude Lawson House, the Binning Residence, the Wagner Residence, Toby House, Sykes House, Vinson House, Rush House, Sutherland House, Boyd House, and Woyat-Bowie Building.
This exceptional modern home is an early example of the International Style in West Vancouver. Designed by Canadian artist B.C. Binning in 1941, it marked a radical departure from traditional house design. Binning was a pioneer of the modern movement on the West Coast.