Permits & Licences for businesses

If you operate a business in West Vancouver, we’ve made it easy for you to get any necessary permits and licensing so you can focus on what matters: a successful business.

Business Licences

To operate a business in West Vancouver, you need a business licence. This also applies to tradesmen—such as builders, plumbers, electricians and landscape gardeners—coming into the community to perform work.

More Information

Building Permits

Everything you need to know to get your building permit.

More Information

Intermunicipal Contractor Business Licences

Intermunicipal Business Licences are available to resident West Vancouver trades contractors and some professional services, allowing them to work in all three North Shore municipalities.

More Information

Child Care Facility Licences

You must obtain two licences to operate a licensed child care service in West Vancouver.

More Information

Commercial Dog Walkers

Commercial dog walkers require a permit, a business licence, and a park use permit.

More Information

Commercial Vehicle Decals

Effective January 1, 2020, commercial vehicles are no longer required to display a Commercial Vehicle Decal in the District of West Vancouver.

More Information

Electrical Permits

All electrical permits must be taken out on your behalf by a provincially-qualified contractor unless you can demonstrate to the electrical inspector that you have the knowledge and skills to do the work.

More Information

Film Permits

Please familiarize yourself with the West Vancouver Filming Policy before applying for a film permit.

More Information

Fire Permits

If you own or are interested in starting a business, there are specific permits that West Vancouver Fire & Rescue requires you to have, depending on your business type.

More Information

Home-Based Business Permits

Home-based businesses can be a great option for sole proprietors, small family businesses and start-ups. Physicians offices are also allowed in duplexes and multi-family complexes.

More Information

Liquor Licences

There are several types of liquor licences and permits you can apply for. You need to apply directly to the province for any of them.

More Information

Mechanical Permits

Mechanical permits include plumbing, drainage, hot water heating, sprinkling. The District of West Vancouver does not issue gas permits,

More Information

Sign Permits

If you plan to put up a sign to advertise your business, or alter an existing sign, you’ll need a permit. You need a business licence before you can apply for a sign permit.

More Information

Special Events Permit

If you are hosting an event with vendors, and/or a for-profit event, you will also need a Special Events Business Licence as the organizer.

More Information

Street Occupancy Permit

A street occupancy permit is required whenever any portion of municipal property (i.e. boulevard, sidewalk, roadway or public lane) is temporarily occupied.

More Information

Useful Links

Use MyDistrict to manage your account online:


City of North Van licences

District of North Van licences