COVID-19 Updates


To learn more about closures and our response to COVID-19, and for updates on District operations, visit


Building & Renovation

Important Notices

The new BC Building and Plumbing Code became effective December 10, 2018, and applies to building permits applied for on or after the effective date.

Free online access to BC CodesThe province is now offering the BC Building, Plumbing and Fire Codes online at no charge. This aligns with the Federal Government of Canada's recently announced changes to the National Model Codes. Visit the link below to get free online access.

Building Permits

Everything you need to know to get your building permit. Building Permit applications require all documentation and drawings listed on the checklist at the time of application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. More Information

Electrical Permits

All electrical permits must be taken out on your behalf by a provincially-qualified contractor, unless you can demonstrate to the electrical inspector that you have the knowledge and skills to do the work. More Information

Mechanical Permits

Mechanical permits include: plumbing, drainage, hot-water heating, sprinkling. More Information


Once your permit has been issued and work done, you will need an inspection. More Information

Property information

We can help you with address changes, ordering house plans, rights of ways, underground oil tanks and more. More Information

regulations & fees

The application fee for building permits is 50 per cent of the permit fee, and is not refundable. More Information

reports & stats

Permit statistical reports are updated during the first week of the following month. More Information


Permits & Inspections Department



Inspectors are in the office
8–9:30 a.m. 
4–4:30 p.m.

Construction Noise

Permitted times for construction

As per the Noise Control Bylaw, there are permitted times for construction noise.

  • Weekdays | 7:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
  • Saturday | 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
  • Sundays & holidays | at no time

Apply and pay for permit online

You need a MyDistrict profile and a valid West Vancouver or North Shore Inter-Municipal Business Licence prior to applying for a permit. Call 604-925-7152 to obtain a Business Licence.

Apply and pay for Electrical and Mechanical permits online. You can also book your inspection online:

Online Service Directory

Other permits

Lawn sprinkling permits are approved only for newly seeded or turfed lawns, or to allow extra lawn irrigation during nematode application for pest management.

Sprinkling Permit

A street occupancy permit is required whenever any portion of municipal property (i.e. boulevard, sidewalk, roadway or public lane) is temporarily occupied.

Street Occupancy Permit