Slow Streets Pilot Project on Bellevue Avenue begins Thursday, June 25
The District of West Vancouver is implementing a temporary pilot project to provide additional space for walking, cycling and rolling during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The slow street pilot is located on Bellevue Avenue between 18th Street and 25th Street, beginning Thursday, June 25. The pilot will be reviewed at the end of summer to determine whether it will continue.
In a slow street corridor, vehicles must reduce speed and share the road with cyclists and pedestrians.
Features of a slow street:
- drivers will be encouraged to use Bellevue Avenue for local traffic and Marine Drive for through traffic
- pedestrians may use the roadway to pass each other at a safe distance
- drivers are expected to proceed slowly, share the road, and watch for pedestrians and cyclists
- access for emergency vehicles and waste/recycling collection is maintained
- local traffic only signage at the end of each block
Staff are monitoring this temporary pilot project closely over the summer.