A Foreshore Development Permit is required for any removal or pruning work on trees 10 centimetres in diameter or larger that are located within 15 metres of the natural boundary (high tide mark) of the ocean (Foreshore Protection Area).
Note: the diameter is measured 1.4 metres from the ground.
The proposed work within 15 m of the natural boundary of the ocean must comply with the District's NE2 Foreshore Development Permit Area Guidelines and Tree Bylaw.
How to Apply
- Obtain an arborist report outlining the proposed work and rationale.
- Complete the Foreshore/Watercourse Protection Area Tree Cutting Permit application form.
- Email documents in PDF format to [email protected].
- Once your application has been received and processed, an application fee slip will be emailed to you. This typically takes up to five days depending on the volume of permits received. Fee: $300 for any pruning or removal work on one tree, plus $100 for each additional tree removal. Application fees are non-refundable.
- The review of a completed application usually takes two to three weeks.
- If your application is approved, the permit will be sent to you by email.
Note: Replanting will be a requirement for any tree removals. A security deposit will be collected to ensure replanting of native coastal species is completed in accordance with the permit conditions.