West Vancouver’s parks are a great place for a picnic. You can’t reserve a picnic spot or shelter; it’s first come, first served. This includes the use of barbecue pits and shelters.
Before you pack your picnic, be sure to read the guidelines and check for current swimming and barbecue restrictions as they may change.
Here are the guidelines—please read and follow them so everyone can enjoy a picnic in the park:
- First come first serve
Don't reserve or cordon off access to any location in a park, including shelters. Don’t use tents, canopies, decorations, chairs or signs to reserve space. Let’s share our parks and picnic areas–they are for everyone!
- Clean up
Please clean up after yourself. Place your garbage in appropriate bins or take it home with you.
- Alcohol consumption
This is now allowed in certain areas of Ambleside Landing, John Lawson Park (excluding the playground), Dundarave Park (excluding the playground), in addition to Millennium Park.
- No open fires
Beaches are included in this prohibition.
- No smoking
Smoking is prohibited in all West Vancouver parks and beaches. Even in urban areas and designated spaces, be sure to discard of all kinds of cigarettes safely.
- Keep the peace
Sharing the park does not mean everyone should share in your musical taste. No devices with amplified sound such as portable sound systems and microphones are allowed.
- More to know
- You can bring your tent to shade your picnic, but tents can’t be larger than 10 x 10 feet. No stakes in the ground, please! You risk puncturing irrigation lines.
- Inflatable toys like bouncy castles are not permitted.
- No camping in parks
- No drones allowed
Please check the rules before using pits or bringing your own barbecue to the park as bans may be in place depending on forest fire ratings.
View current barbecue restrictions
Parks will have signs in place when barbecue restrictions are in effect.
John Lawson Park and Whytecliff Park have barbecue pits available for your use when barbecuing is permitted. You can bring coals or propane barbecue. Never leave used or hot coals behind! Dispose of them properly, in the areas provided.
Barbecues are never permitted in Lighthouse Park.
Parks are shared community spaces. Please be considerate of others.
Please remember to be community-minded while enjoying our parks.
- Keep your dog on a leash where indicated.
- Please take your waste home and keep the park clean.
- Fires and wood-burning ovens are not permitted at beaches or parks.
- Alcohol consumption is now allowed in certain areas. See locations.
- Please follow parking regulations and guidance from traffic control personnel.