Making a Claim with the District

Claims can arise from a variety of situations. The following are just a few common examples, but not limited to:

  • potholes, water damage, sewer back-ups, trips and falls

The District of West Vancouver does not attend to or repair damages on private property. As such, we recommend that you contact your insurance provider who may be able to assist you with your damages.

Please note that the District is not legally responsible to ensure that its roads are always free of defects or hazards such as potholes. If your vehicle is damaged due to potholes or road hazards, contact your insurance provider.

If you feel that the District of West Vancouver is responsible for your loss or damages, it must be submitted to the District in writing within two (2) months of the date of the loss or damage as required under Section 286 of the Local Government Act. 

More information about making a claim

Your written notice must include the date, time, location and manner in which the loss or damage occurred. Also include your name, address and telephone number where you can be reached during the day. Attach any supporting documents and submit to the District via:

Regular Mail

Municipal Hall
Attention: Risk Management
750 17th Street
West Vancouver, BC V7V 3T3



Once your claim is received, it will be investigated and you will be contacted. Please note that the initial investigation can take 4 to 6 weeks, perhaps longer depending on the complexity of the claim.

Please be aware that the District is not responsible for damages caused by faulty utilities on private property. If your property is damaged from a water source, contact your insurance provider. Property owners are responsible for sewer and rain and drain pipes located on their side of the property line, as well as water pipes starting at the service valve near their property line.

Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy