Sign Permits

If you plan to put up a sign to advertise your business, or alter an existing sign, you’ll need a permit. You need a business licence before you can apply for a sign permit, as well the company installing the sign must also have a West Vancouver business licence.

Before you apply, it’s a good idea to familiarize yourself with the Sign Bylaw to understand what is and is not permitted. If it’s not mentioned in the bylaw, it’s not permitted.

To apply, you’ll need to provide a completed application form and include the following:

  • exact wording proposed
  • a scale drawing showing:
    • size of sign (height & width)
    • dimension of lettering (height & width), depth
    • sign colors and materials
    • width and height of store facade
  • location of sign on building and method of attachment (for new canopies and awnings additional drawings)
  • West Vancouver Business Licence


Sign Permit Application Form

Sign Bylaw

Temporary Sign Permit Application Form (for non-profit organizations)


New conforming sign: $125
Change existing conforming sign: $80

Guidelines for permitted signs

Facia Signs
Awnings & Suspended Signs
Freestanding, Projecting & Signs on Exterior Wall Projections

Types of signs that are not permitted

  • sandwich boards
  • temporary freestanding signs
  • second storey facia, awning and canopy signs
  • banners, balloons and bunting
  • inflatable devices
  • revolving, animated, flashing or moving signs


Questions about sign permits? Contact us. 



Election sign regulations

There are different rules and regulations for displaying election signs.

View election sign regulations